My appetite and stomach rule most of my day. Planning my next meal, reading about new restaurants and researching new recipes consumes a great deal of my time. I love food so much that one of my degrees is in culinary arts and I worked in the restaurant industry for over six years. All of this food love has forced me to develop an expensive habit; dining out. I am beyond passionate about restaurants because I am amazed by the choreography of dining and discovering how someone manipulates ingredients to create a masterpiece.
I love any restaurant from a food cart on the streets of Bangkok to Plaza Athenee in Paris. When baby came along, my husband and I were not about to stop dining out.
When we take baby girl with us for dinner we are extremely aware of other diners and strive to be considerate. Below are tips that are tried and true for us:
- We arrive to the restaurant around 5:30 pm and leave before 7:00 pm. We sometimes do lunches instead of dinners.
- We call ahead to make sure the restaurant has a high chair and if we use Open Table we add in the notes that we will need a high chair.
- We request to not sit next to a couple in case they are enjoying a romantic meal.
- Sometimes we sit in the bar area of the restaurant because it is louder and more casual.
- We always bring a bag full of toys, wipes, baby snacks, baby food, comfort items and a good sense of humor.
- We tip 20-30% and try to be as low maintenance as possible.
- We pick up anything baby throws on the floor.
- If baby, now toddler, begins to get loud or cry, one of us leaves with her immediately to comfort her.
Below is a list of Houston fine dining restaurants where we have taken our daughter starting at one week of age. The staff have always been kind and understanding. Stars indicate our regular haunts.America’s – http://www.cordua.com/americas/ *Armandos – http://www.armandosrestaurant.com/ Benjy’s – http://www.benjys.com/flash.html *Brasserie 19 – http://www.brasserie19.com/menu/ Brennan’s – http://www.brennanshouston.com/ Brenner’s on the Bayou – http://brennerssteakhouse.com/bayou/default.htm Churrasco’s – http://www.cordua.com/churrascos/ Eddie V’s – http://www.eddiev.com/ *Fleming’s – http://www.flemingssteakhouse.com/ *Houston’s or Hillstone – http://www.hillstone.com/ Hugo’s – http://hugosrestaurant.net/ Ibiza – http://ibizafoodandwinebar.com/ Kata Robata – http://katarobata.com/ Katsuya – http://www.sbe.com/katsuya/houston *La Griglia – http://lagrigliarestaurant.com/ McCormick and Schmick’s – http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/Locations/houston-texas/houston-texas/uptownparkboulevard.aspx *Mockingbird Bistro – http://www.mockingbirdbistro.com/ Monarch at Hotel ZaZa – http://www.hotelzaza.com/#houston Oceanaire – http://www.theoceanaire.com/Home.aspx *Ousie’s Table – http://ouisiestable.com/ Rainbow Lodge – http://rainbow-lodge.com/ *Ristorante Cavour at Hotel Granduca –http://www.granducahouston.com/dining/ristorante_cavour/ *Soma – http://somasushi.com/ Straits Asian Bistro – http://www.straitsrestaurants.com/straits—houston-pages-7.php Sushi Raku – http://rakumidtown.com/ The Grove – http://thegrovehouston.com/ Quattro – http://www.quattrorestauranthouston.com/ Uchi – http://uchirestaurants.com/houston/ *Up – http://www.uprestaurant.com/ Uptown Sushi – http://uptown-sushi.com/ Vic and Anthony’s – http://www.vicandanthonys.com/